Sunday, October 18, 2015

Noah Found Grace





 Bobby posted a video of Tennessee Ernie Ford on my Facebook page today in honor of our 1000-year flood here in South Carolina.
He knew that I grew up listening to Tennessee Ernie Ford sing “Noah Found Grace in the Eyes of the Lord” on an 8-track tape as our family pulled our camper traveling as a child.

All of that family time in the car brought about a lot of conversation and laughing. We did not have the “luxury” of electronic devices to keep our attention…  We had imagination and creativity.


The one I remember BEST…. was watching for tags on cars and trucks that we met and passed on the road. Our goal was to see if we could find a tag for every state in the United States. Our eyes were always searching for the unusual color or design so that we could add that “ one state” to our list.  I think one time we found 45 of our 49 continental states and several of the Canadian Providences.  It was always fun to find that “one more” on our list.





To this day, when I travel, I have my eyes peeled for the variety of different tags that are available.

I truly believe that not only did “Noah Find Grace in the Eyes of the Lord”…. The Scurry family also found grace in the eyes of the Lord… The time we spent together experiencing and appreciating the nature that God created camping…. our “car” lessons and the family bond we built was life changing but more important LIFE forming.

We did not all sit in the car and stay in our own little world… there was conversation…including the sharing of childhood stories and experiences.  Our time together allowed our family to share news events, activities of our community and more importantly…. our DREAMS..  


Our travels modeled our values, grounded us with the history of our family and allowed each family member to truly connect and know each other. We knew what each other’s favorite meal was… favorite color was… favorite hymn was and of course their favorite trip in the car.



The games…. family singing alone with Daddy’s 8-tracks…. and the stories were family times that will be always loved and cherished.

 Not only did Noah find grace…. The Scurry family find grace…. but Arlene found grace in the Eyes of the Lord too…. Grace that is humbling… undeserved and precious….





2 Corinthians 12:8-9 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment